The Orange City Community will benefit from increased library/community partnerships and awareness of library and community offerings.
Improve communication with community
Utilize external communication avenues, e.g. radio, city newsletter, library newsletter, social media.
- Create and distribute library newsletter, offer to new cardholders
- Increase social media followers 5% over 5 years
Partner with City of Orange City and Chamber of Commerce to meet economic needs, e.g. technology classes, meeting space
- Offer technology classes for adults twice a year
- Advertise business resources in newsletter and other communication avenues
Support local clubs and organizations
Provide and advertise meeting space and technology offerings, e.g. smart TVs, scan/print/fax, etc.
- Advertise meeting rooms and circulating technology in newsletter and other communication avenues
- Increase meeting room use 10% over 5 years
Library users will benefit from improved digital access and digital literacy.
Provide access to public access technologies
Complete The Edge Assessment to evaluate and inform improvements to technology offerings
- Complete Edge Assessment in 2019
- Make two changes to technology offerings/resources based on Edge Assessment result
Provide access to digital content
Improve offerings and advertising of digital resources, e.g. databases, e-books, courses, etc.
- Evaluate database/resource offerings
- Increase database/resource offerings 5% in 5 years
Provide digital literacy
Provide technology training for staff so they can assist patrons. Provide technology training for patrons in individual and group settings.
- Provide technology classes for patrons twice a year
Library users will utilize an appealing, up-to-date collection of a variety of items, based on patron needs and interests.
Allow community input on collection
Improve communication around patron requests with progress updates
- Evaluate inter-library loan requests relative to purchase requests to fulfill patron requests for materials
Improve technology offerings for patrons
Provide additional technology for patron and staff use, e.g. hardware and software, presentation tools for programs and patrons
- Add one new piece of technology for patron use each year
Maintain a current and appealing collection of materials
Provide current materials of interest to patrons. Maintain a visually appealing collection.
- Meet or exceed 3% withdrawal of materials annually.
- Fill 95% of patron requests via purchase or inter-library loan
Enhance Reader’s Advisory
Provide material displays, promotional materials, newsletter and social media recommendations and updates. Train staff on Reader’s Advisory techniques.
- Increase NoveList usage by 10% over 5 years
- Hold staff training meetings for technology once a year
- Increase checkouts from library displays by 5% over 5 years
Library users will benefit from a modern, accessible, library environment.
Update building to meet needs of library and library patrons
Investigate improvements to building
- Resolve 2 ADA compliance issues over 5 years
- Undertake two projects over 5 years
- e.g. soundproof meeting rooms, kitchenette, ramp and bicycle parking, enclosed staff area, circulation desk, restrooms, drinking fountain.
Maintain library building and property
Adopt and conduct a regular review of maintenance for the building, e.g. carpet cleaning, paint, etc.
- Create an annual maintenance schedule
- Review building maintenance annually
Library users will enjoy quality service provided by skilled and welcoming staff.
Provide excellent customer service to all patrons
Develop customer service training for new and current staff.
- Create a customer service training program for existing and new staff
- Train staff in customer service according to program
- Evaluate patron opinions with survey before and after training program implementation
All staff are fully trained on all library functions
Create and maintain training manual, procedures manual, and SOPs for all staff positions. Update and review policy with staff annually.
- All positions create Standard Operating Procedure document
- All responsibilities have at least two staff members trained in their performance by 2020
- Develop a competency checklist for staff
- Improve staff results on competency checklist by 10%
- Hold staff training meetings for technology four times a year
Retain library employees
Evaluate staff wages and provide competitive compensation.
- Conduct evaluation of staff wages based on community and field
- Adjust wages based on findings if necessary
Improve circulation and shelving accuracy
Improve circulation desk staffing. Develop additional checks for circulation and shelving.
- Create and utilize circulation desk schedule with designated back-up staff member
- Evaluate busiest times in building
- Adjust circulation desk staffing based on traffic data
Library users will enjoy diverse program offerings for a variety of ages and interest.
Ensure purpose for library programs can be articulated
Develop a mission statement for program offerings and evaluate programs accordingly.
- Write mission statement for library programs
- Evaluate recurring programs according to mission statement annually
- Evaluate special programs according to mission statement
Diversify program offerings
Seek out programs which will attract a more diverse attendance population based on interests express in community survey and trends.
- Increase adult program attendance by 10% over 5 years
- Offer programs on topics/themes defined in community survey, with 5 new topics/themes introduced over 5 years.