Jim Pottebaum – Chief of Police
Under general administrative direction, plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of Orange City’s Police Department including law enforcement, criminal investigations, crime prevention, emergency medical services, disaster responses, community problem solving, general community support services, and related support services; coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies.
- Assume full management responsibility for all Public Safety Department services and activities; manage the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, and priorities for each assigned service area; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly.
- Assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement changes.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate, through subordinate level staff, the Public Safety Department’s work plan; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; meet with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the department budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Oversee the acquisition and maintenance of Department equipment and vehicles; maintain safety standards for personnel and equipment.
- Provide staff assistance to the City Manager and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence; attend City Council and other meetings as required.
- Represent the Public Safety Department to other departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; coordinate assigned activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints; explain, justify, and defend department programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Participate on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; serve as the City’s representative to committees and community organizations concerned with improvements in law enforcement and fire services, public education, and departmental public relations.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the field of law enforcement, crime prevention, fire suppression, fire prevention, and related support services; incorporate new developments as appropriate.
- Respond to and may command police and/or fire emergencies or community disasters.
- Perform related duties as required.
Orange City Fire Department, organized in 1898, is committed to preserving life and property professionally and safely. With a territory of 56.5 sq mi, which covers 30,732 sq ft of crop land, the Orange City Fire Department protects a population of over 6,500 people, and has an ISO rating of four. The department consists of one chief, two assistant chiefs, four captains, 18 firefighters, and three student firefighters who respond to an average of 60 calls per year. They also provide mutual aid to 11 communities in Sioux County and a Rapid Intervention Team to surrounding communities. The Orange City Fire Department is National Incident Management System compliant.
For more information about the Orange City Fire Department visit orangecityfire.com
Orange City Area Health System is committed to providing the region and its residents with a comprehensive offering of important services… top quality healthcare, close to home, from people you trust. That is why Orange City Area Health System not only offers an award-winning total healing environment with advanced technology and state-of-the-art equipment, but also has a team of committed, skilled, compassionate medical staff–from family practice to specialty surgeries … OB to orthopedics … physical therapy to home health and hospice… birthcare to eldercare. High tech AND high touch. A range of medical services and specialties to meet your needs at every stage of life.
Our team of paramedics and EMTs are on call 24/7. In addition, it’s a comfort to know that our very own physicians are the doctors you will see in our Emergency Room. Top quality care … close to home. Ambulance and emergency services are proved by Orange City Area Health System.
For more information about Orange City Area Health System visit ochealthsystem.org