Recyclable Materials & Trash
About the Service
Orange City Sanitation is contracted to remove non-recyclable materials.
Residential customers shall be provided with a toter or toters from the City’s contracted garbage hauler and use of these toters is mandatory.
The size/number of options for toters are as follows:
1 – 65 gallon toter
2 – 65 gallon toters
1 – 95 gallon toter
2 – 95 gallon toters
If a residential customer desires to set their own additional container(s) for pickup, the container(s) shall be made of galvanized metal, rubber, fiberglass, or of plastic which does not become brittle in cold weather. They shall have a minimum capacity of not less than ten (10) gallons and not more than thirty-five (35) gallons. They shall be of lightweight and sturdy construction, with the total weight of any individual container, fully loaded, not to exceed sixty-five (65) pounds. They shall be of the type manufactured for storage of residential wastes with tapered sides for easy emptying and suitable lifting devices such as handles or bails. They shall be waterproof and leak-proof. They shall be fitted with a fly tight lid, which shall remain in place except for the deposit or removal of wastes.
These additional container(s) placed for collection must be marked with identifying tags for single use with the rates set for single use collection tags and other solid waste disposal services annually or at such other times as deemed reasonable by the City Council.
If you have large items such as furniture or appliances, please call Orange City Sanitation at 712-737-2645 and they will pick up or have you deliver them to their site here in Orange City.
To learn your scheduled day for non-recyclable materials pick up, see the Trash Collection Schedule.
To learn your scheduled day recycle materials pick up, see the Recyclable Collection Schedule.
Full or nearly full recycling containers are preferred, and to be placed in the same location as your non-recyclable materials container. Please leave your recycling container with your address when you move.
Recyclable materials should be placed in your blue container
- Beverage Boxes
- Cereal Boxes
- Food Boxes Without Food Stains (E.g. Hamburger Helper Box, Cake Box, Pizza Box)
- Laundry Soap Box
- Shoe Boxes
- Tissue Boxes
- Computer Paper
- Dry and Clean Newspapers
- Holiday Wrapping Paper
- Junk Mail
- Mixed Paper
- Shredded Paper (place in blue bag only)
- Beverage Bottles (Separate Lids – Both are Recyclable)
- Clear and Colored Plastics With #1,2,3,4,5, 6, or 7 Stamped On Bottom
- Food Containers
- Household Cleaning Bottles
- Individual Cheese Wrappers
- Remove Lids!
- Milk and Soap Jugs
- Potato Chip Bags
NO PLASTIC SHOPPING BAGS
NO PLASTIC TRASH BAGS
- Empty and Rinsed
- Food and Beverage Cans
- Food Spray in a Can (E.g. Pam)
- Hair Spray Cans
- Label Left On Is OK
Materials do not need to be separated and a plastic bag is not required when using the blue recycle tote. There is no need to remove labels or bands from cans and bottles. Clean only enough to prevent odors.
All non-recyclable materials should be placed in your green container
Food & Paper Waste
- Frozen food & juice boxes
- Dirty paper plates, cups & napkins
- Food waste (uneaten food)
- Tissues & toilet paper
- Paper Towels
- Wax paper
- Styrofoam & packing peanuts
- Plastic utensils,plates
- Disposable baby & adult diapers
- Garden hose
- Landscape plastic & tile material, PVC pipes
- Medical supplies and sharps
- CDs, DVDs
- No glass will be accepted due to possible contamination of other materials.
- Dinnerware & glassware or ceramic material.
- CFL & Fluorescent light bulbs (But are accepted at the Northwest IA Area Solid Waste Household Hazardous Material Regional Collection Center by appointment)
batteries & cell phones
Due to fire hazard- no batteries and cell phones will be accepted at the Recycling Center. (But are accepted at the Northwest IA Area Solid Waste Household Hazardous Material Regional CollectionCenter by appointment)
For information on Orange City and Alton’s annual e-recycling program contact Matt Van Schouwen at 712-707-4885 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pillows & Blankets