Recyclable & Non-recyclable Material
About the Service
Orange City Sanitation is contracted to remove non-recyclable materials.
Residential customers shall be provided with a toter or toters from the City’s contracted garbage hauler and use of these toters is mandatory.
The size/number of options for toters are as follows:
1 – 60 gallon toter
2 – 60 gallon toters
1 – 95 gallon toter
2 – 95 gallon toters
If a residential customer desires to set their own additional container(s) for pickup, the container(s) shall be made of galvanized metal, rubber, fiberglass, or of plastic which does not become brittle in cold weather. They shall have a minimum capacity of not less than ten (10) gallons and not more than thirty-five (35) gallons. They shall be of lightweight and sturdy construction, with the total weight of any individual container, fully loaded, not to exceed sixty-five (65) pounds. They shall be of the type manufactured for storage of residential wastes with tapered sides for easy emptying and suitable lifting devices such as handles or bails. They shall be waterproof and leak-proof. They shall be fitted with a fly tight lid, which shall remain in place except for the deposit or removal of wastes.
These additional container(s) placed for collection must be marked with identifying tags for single use with the rates set for single use collection tags and other solid waste disposal services annually or at such other times as deemed reasonable by the City Council.
If you have large items such as furniture or appliances, please call Orange City Sanitation at 712-737-2645 and they will pick up or have you deliver them to their site here in Orange City.
To learn your scheduled day for non-recyclable materials pick up, see the Non-Recyclable Sanitation Collection Schedule.
To learn your scheduled day recycle materials pick up, see the Recyclable Sanitation Collection Schedule.
Full or nearly full recycling containers are preferred, and to be placed in the same location as your non-recyclable materials container. Please leave your recycling container with your address when you move.
- Office paper
- Colored paper
- Shiny paper
- Envelopes (transparent windows okay)
- Junk mail
- Brown paper bags
- Phone books
- Shredded office paper (bag it separately)
- Hardcover books (remove covers)
- Paperback books
- Paper egg cartons
- Fiber board (cereal boxes, soda boxes)
- Paper cups
- All plastic containers labeled # 1-7
- Milk and juice jugs
- Pop and water bottles
- Dish and liquid soap bottles
- Bleach and detergent containers
- Ice cream tubs and yogurt cups
- Cooking oil containers
- Lotion bottles
- Household cleaning containers
- Plastic bags & plastic food wrap (Bagged in plastic bags)
- Plastic cups
(clean, no liquids)
Aluminum & Metals
- Aluminum & tin cans
- Aluminum foil & pans
- Aerosol spray cans (must be empty)
- Corrugated cardboard
- Pizza boxes (no leftover pizza)
- Break down and flatten, so more fits in recycling container
Food & Paper Waste
- Frozen food & juice boxes
- Dirty paper plates, cups & napkins
- Food waste (uneaten food)
- Tissues & toilet paper
- Paper Towels
- Wax paper
- Styrofoam & packing peanuts
- Plastic utensils,plates
- Disposable baby & adult diapers
- Garden hose
- Landscape plastic & tile material, PVC pipes
- Medical supplies and sharps
- CDs, DVDs
- No glass will be accepted due to possible contamination of other materials.
- Dinnerware & glassware or ceramic material.
- CFL & Fluorescent light bulbs (But are accepted at the Northwest IA Area Solid Waste Household Hazardous Material Regional Collection Center by appointment)
batteries & cell phones
Due to fire hazard- no batteries and cell phones will be accepted at the Recycling Center. (But are accepted at the Northwest IA Area Solid Waste Household Hazardous Material Regional CollectionCenter by appointment)
For information on Orange City and Alton’s annual e-recycling program contact Matt Van Schouwen at 712-707-4885 or email@example.com
- Pillows & Blankets