Calling All Lifeguards!
Lifeguard Certification Class
City of Orange City is hoping to offer a lifeguard certification class prior to the start of the 2015 pool season. Please check back or watch the Advisor closer to April for details regarding this class. Participants must be at least 15 years old and attendance will be required for all scheduled class dates.
Lifeguard applications for Orange City and Alton pools
- Applications will be due April 18th (after April 18th will be by discretion only)
- Letters will be sent out May 1st. Contact 707-9494 w/questions or to sign up
- Download the application HERE.
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at OC Area Fitness.
Qualifications: Responsible young adult with a strong interest in public service. Must be reliable, emotionally stable, courteous, tactful and physically fit. Must accept directions easily and openly. Desire a person with an interest in children and in learning about pool management and maintenance. The following current, minimum certification requirements are desired: Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Red Cross First Aid and CPR, and Water Safety Instructor Certificate (Swimming Instructors only).
Responsible To: Community Wellness Director and/or Park and Rec Director
- Identify potential accident hazards.
- Be alert. Prevent accidents.
- Enforce pool rules in a consistent manner.
- Handle discipline situations with courtesy and fairness.
- Respond quickly, intelligently, decisively and in accordance with established emergency procedures.
- Administer first aid and CPR as required.
- Communicate with lifeguards and supervisors.
- Facilitate public relations with a positive and professional attitude.
- Be available to substitute for other staff members.
- Follow established personal leave procedures.
- Fill out appropriate reports.
- Carry out additional duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Provide competent, safe instruction using recognized lead up skills.
- Plan and effectively organize class time.
- Teach with encouragement and positive reinforcement.
- Position and supervise the on duty lifeguard as they relate to the safety of program participants.
- Facilitate the certification process by attending course records as soon as possible.
- Promote good public relations by talking with parents before and after class.
- Dress appropriately with a bathing suit and staff shirt for all classes.